Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Starting Over (Blog 6)

     Read any teen magazine and you'll find countless "Ask Ali" or "Dear Carol" letters concerning one topic. "I'm moving and starting at a new school and I don't know anyone. Help me!" It's every fourteen-year-old kid's nightmare, and it's one that, at age fourteen, I lived.
     From the moment I first stepped on the Vaca High Campus, I was sure the change from Fairfield to Vaca High would be a nightmare. I didn't see anyone I even remotely recognized, I didn't know where anything was, and the tardy bell sounded to me like four obnoxious, short-lived intruder alarms. The first week I sat at random tables during lunch and when these random groups didn't immediatly accept me as one of them, I became upset.
     The next week, I tried to end the nightmare. Some schedule changes I'd made finished processing and I was switched to three different classes. In these classes I tried to get involved in what was going on, rather than just randomly intrude on coversations. I found that as I acted more like myself and less like a wandering puppy, fitting in to Vaca High came naturally. The move became a positive thing because of the great things that happened and awesome people I met at my new school. I wouldn't have gone back to Fairfield if I could have.
     When I first came to Vaca High, starting over seemed worse than "bad"; it seemed like a nightmare. However, once I learned to act like myself, coming to Vacaville became something very positive. Not only did I meet great people and do great things, but I also learned how to adjust to changes, and how to get involved in an unfamilar place. The experience was unforgettable, and irreplaceable.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment