Friday, September 17, 2010

The Affect of Tuesdays with Morrie (Blog 9)

     Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie uses the story of Albom, his professor, and their last "class" together to teach a variety of life lessons, from money to how love goes on. What I most took from the book was the idea that when humans approach the time when they will die, their priorites change dramatically and they learn to appriciate things. The book taught me also how younger people can apply this to their own lives.
     At one point, Albom notes that Morrie has not bought anything new, except medical equipment and other necessities, since he was diagnosed with ALS. However, Morrie invites dear friends and family to his residence everyday. As soon as he knows he's dying, the most important aspects of his life are his lifelong passion of teaching, and his personal relationships. Constantly he tells Albom, "Love each other or die". Morrie's example of what becomes important close to death applies to the younger generation because Morrie teaches that we should all live in a loving way throughout our lives.
     Tuesdays with Morrie made me think as I read it. After reading the story of an old, dying, professor, who wants nothing more than to teach and develop relationships with loved ones, it became hard to not appriciate those I love and how I'm still able to fully enjoy their company. This insight along with many others is what made the book the world-wide inspiration it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment